Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Food Writing

Yesterday I started a class titled "Food Writing" where we were asked to keep a blog pertaining to food. I thought I'd share the first memory I have of baking:

I was young. Young enough to have to stand on a chair in order to see over the kitchen counter top. My dad swiftly puts all the ingredients into one big bowl as my eager hands reach for the whisk. With his hands on top of mine, we mix until the batter comes together. I can feel the heat emanating from the griddle. There is a sizzling sound the moment the batter hits the flat, hot surface. A short amount of time goes by and I am given the spatula. And a huge smile forms on my face. As I flip the golden browned circles, their buttery aroma fills the room. I help my dad until there is no more batter in the bowl. "Breakfast is ready!" my dad calls to the rest of our family, "who wants pancakes?"
This is one of my favorite memories of my childhood! And this recipe was passed down from my granddad (dad's dad). To this day, I still use this recipe and pancakes are one of my favorite breakfast foods! 

No comments:

Post a Comment